Injured Wilson targeting Sept. 1 return

Injured Wilson targeting Sept. 1 return

ATLANTA -- Braves shortstop Jack Wilson, on the 15-day disabled list with a dislocated right pinkie since July 14, said he will receive a cortisone shot on Sunday and is targeting a return to Atlanta on Sept. 1.

Wilson's knuckle is so swollen, he said he's unable to properly grip a bat or a ball. He's hopeful the combination of the shot and more rest will reduce the swelling to the point where he can go back on a rehab assignment next weekend. His last rehab assignment at Triple-A Gwinnett was cut short last week due to the swelling.

"Before, it was go down and try to play with it, see if you can get through it," Wilson said. "As long as they threw a middle-inside fastball it was fine. Everything else, you just couldn't. Obviously that didn't work out."

Once Wilson returns, it is unclear what his role will be. He had been the Braves backup shortstop before he got hurt, first to Tyler Pastornicky and then to Andrelton Simmons.

The Braves hope to have Simmons, who is also on the 15-day disabled list with a broken right pinkie, back in September. With Simmons and Wilson hurt, the Braves traded for Paul Janish, who has served as their starting shortstop for the last month, with Pastornicky backing him up.

But with rosters expanding Sept. 1 to allow teams to have 40 active players, the Braves can afford to carry four shortstops if they choose. Wilson said is willing to take on whatever role the Braves have for him and is looking forward to his first career September call-up.

"[I'm] trying to be ready for that September call-up date," Wilson said. "And then [I'll] be here for whatever they need in September."