Hudson feels fine day after cramping vs. Nats

Hudson feels fine day after cramping vs. Nats

Hudson feels fine day after cramping vs. Nats
WASHINGTON -- With his cheeks looking much puffier than normal, a fatigued Tim Hudson returned to Nationals Park late Saturday morning and said he had only himself to blame for the cramping and dehydration that forced him to exit Friday night's 7-4 win over the Nationals.

More importantly, Hudson said he will be ready to make his next start. The Braves' veteran pitcher is on schedule to start Wednesday's regular-season finale against the Phillies. But if his team has clinched the National League Wild Card entry at that point, he will likely start Game 1 of the NL Division Series.

"Everything is fine," Hudson said. "It's just one of those things where I got exhausted and dehydrated. It's frustrating, because I know it's my own fault."

Hudson went to a local hospital after exiting Friday's game in the sixth inning and received five bags of fluid. He did not return to his hotel until around 3 a.m. ET and found it difficult to sleep with the fluid running through his body.

Hudson has been occasionally bothered by cramping and dehydration during his career. He has often felt the cramping in his legs and right forearm. During Friday's game, he felt cramping between his right shoulder and neck.

"I didn't prepare before the game like I should have, as far as hydrating and stuff like that," Hudson said. "I thought we were going to have a long [rain] delay."

It seems Hudson was a victim of weather forecasts which predicted temperatures in the low 70s and a strong possibility that the Braves and Nationals would have to wait through a long delay before starting their series opener.

Shortly after eating around 5:30 p.m. ET, Hudson learned the game was going to start about five minutes later than originally planned. As he rushed to get ready, he opted not to receive the fluids he often gets via an IV before games.

Hudson felt he would be fine with the temperature in the low 70s. But he was not prepared for the humidity at the ballpark after the rain ended.

"I didn't feel so good last night after the game, but I'm OK now," Hudson said.